In spite of consumers spending less and a global economy that has continued to show slow signs of recovery, the online travel business is continuing to grow. Market research firm yStats.com released a report called Global Online Travel Report 2012 this month, which looked at trends and hot spots for the travel industry. The good news is that more owners are recognizing the importance of supporting their travel business with an ecommerce platform.
Here are some standout points for merchants who have yet to or are thinking about taking their travel businesses online:
- In places like Russia and Great Britain, more than half of travelers bypassed traditional travel agents and went online to book during 2011. This means the internet is a valuable channel for acquiring travel leads.
- In the United States, online travel booking via mobile devices is expected to grow by 51% in 2012 and triple by 2013.
- Online bookings are expected to see continued growth, especially to destinations such as India and China. With online bookings comes a need for added growth, especially in affiliate marketing, to deliver a high volume of traffic.
- Google’s Flight Search, a tool aimed at helping travellers find the best flights, has added international destinations to its coverage. For competing online travel agencies, the race for greater online market share will be fierce.
If your business offers flights, accommodation, rentals, , recreation, dining, events or tourist related specialty services, you would be wise to consider setting up an ecommerce platform. As the online travel industry continues to grow, consumers will be expecting to research and book their travel arrangements online. If you are not making full use of the internet for your marketing campaigns you are missing 30% of your potential market.
What are your thoughts about the online travel market? Do you book your travel arrangements online? Leave us your feedback in the comments section below.
- How Online Travel Businesses can Benefit from Affiliate Marketing
- Tis the Season for Travel Affiliate Programs
- How to Make Your Travel Campaigns More SEO-Friendly – Part 1
- How to Make Your Travel Campaigns More SEO-Friendly – Part 2
- How to Add Value to your Affiliate Business